I have just revealed to you the most important discovery of my life. It's just like how Isaac Newton discovered the law of gravity and Albert Einstein discovered the law of relativity; I had discovered a mental law of human performance: Fast(in).
I hope you still recall what Fast(in) stands for?
F:- Facts, not just Opinions;
ÃÃ ÃÃ ÃÃ ÃÃ "Make sure what you know is complete and correct."
A:- Ask the Right and Best Source;
ÃÃ ÃÃ ÃÃ ÃÃ "If they don't qualify, don't pay any attention to them."
S:- See in Systems;
ÃÃ ÃÃ ÃÃ ÃÃ "Know the story behind the story."
T:- Think and Act the Best Way;
ÃÃ ÃÃ ÃÃ ÃÃ "Respond to the situation instead of reacting to it."
I:- Inquire, Expect, Prepare, Move;
ÃÃ ÃÃ ÃÃ "Define the Game and know its Rules, if you want to play it."
N:- Never Assume;
ÃÃ ÃÃ ÃÃ ÃÃ "Check it again, you need to be sure."
I was really curious to understand why two people will engage in the same activity such as business, school, relationship, parenting, working in an office and one person will perform better than the other.
What was responsible for the difference in their performance?
As I thought about the question really hard, I decided to use the six culture rules as a standard of comparison. I was overwhelmed by what I found out.
I discovered that the reason one person performed better than the other was because one of them used more of the culture rules than the other. It was amazing!!!
The more I researched, the more it was revealing itself:
- If I was doing well in my business, it was because I used more of the culture rules, consciously or unconsciously.
- If my relationship was not working out, it was because of the culture rules I wasn't using.
- If I got a promotion at work, it was because of the culture rules I was using.
- If I did well in a paper at school, it was because of the culture rules I was using.
Furthermore, Fast(in) was being used by everyone; it's just that some people used theirs more than others, thus, they got better results.
Everyone approaches the activities of life and work in certain ways; the kind of approach used is what determines the results everyone gets.
- If I approach work a certain way, that approach will determine the kind of result I get at work.
- If I approach my relationship in a certain way, that approach will determine the kind of results I get in my relationship.
- If I approach parenting a certain way, that approach will determine the kind of results I get in parenting.
- If I approach school a certain way, that approach will determine the kind of results I get in school.
It's safe to say Fast(in) is the mental checklist we use for different environments in our lives, such as business, family, school, work etc. This checklist will determine how we approach situations in that environment, thus it can be compared to a skill or ability. Every person possesses this skill or ability.
My Fast(in) ability is strong, if I use all of the (6) culture rules in that environment.
My Fast(in) ability is weak , if I use very little of the ( 6 ) culture rules in that environment.
My Fast(in) ability is average, if I use some of the (6) culture rules in that environment.
- If I have a strong Fast(in) ability, I will have a high level of performance and results in that environment, such as business, family, school, work etc.
- If I have a weak Fast(in) ability, I will have a low level of performance and results in that environment.
- If I have an average Fast(in) ability, I will have an average level of performance and results in that environment.
Dear Child, you can imagine the feeling of excitement the moment I discovered all of this. Wow!!!
It is as if I now know the reason why I perform well in some activities and not so well in some other activities I engage in, both at work and life.
Moreover, with all this excitement came a few thoughts:
If I know what is responsible for the level of my performance, then there is a standard and I can use that standard and compare myself with it.
If I can compare myself with it, then I can measure myself and know where I am at the moment.
If I can measure myself, then I can manage myself and know where I need to improve in.
If I can manage myself, then I can control myself.
So the next obvious step is to find a way to measure myself to know my Fast(in) ability, whether it is strong, average or weak.
I will tell you how I did that in my next letter.
Remember, your Culture is everything.
Copyright © 2011 HiZen-3 Ltd
This story is a series of letters written by Segun Cadmus, Manager, HiZen-3 Ltd, a company created to be the Ultimate guide in Culture Management at work and life. Please visit us at: http://www.hizenworld.com for more information about what we do.
ÃÃ ÃÃ Please share a comment about Letter 8 with the writer:
Email HiZen-3 Ltd
ÃÃ ÃÃ First Letter From HiZen
ÃÃ ÃÃ Second Letter From HiZen
ÃÃ ÃÃ Third Letter From HiZen
ÃÃ ÃÃ Fourth Letter From HiZen
ÃÃ ÃÃ Fifth Letter From HiZen
ÃÃ ÃÃ Sixth Letter From HiZen
ÃÃ ÃÃ Seventh Letter From HiZen
- Lesson In Humility
- Taking Care Of Mom
- Grandpa's Little Buddy
- I'll Just Call Her Rachel
- Just Believe
- Never Give Up
- Being Flat-footed Can Save Lives
- Never Give Up
- To A Woman You Admire And Love!
- Another Beautiful Day
- What Really Matters
- You Have Nothing To Fear
- We Live Here As Well
- She Wasn't Alone
- What Do Angels Look Like?
- Forget About The Numbers
- Being Flat-footed Can Save Lives